Machame 6 Days climb
Machame route 6 days climb – The Machame route is probably the most popular route and is also called “the whiskey route”. This route is steeper than the Marangu and Rongai routes and physically more demanding and for that reason better suited for the more determined and fitter climbers.
Highly recommended for scenic value, Great for acclimatization with lots of walk high, sleep low opportunities. Challenging trek with stunning scenery through 5 diverse climatic zones!
Day 1: Kilimanjaro Airport – Moshi
No need to arrange transport! Our transfer driver will collect you and all your gear from Kilimanjaro Airport and take you to the hotel in Moshi. Relax after your flight, take a dip in the pool or explore Moshi. Later you will meet the Karibu Adventure operation team. They will tell you more about the trip, share tips and safety information and thoroughly check your gear to see if you have everything you need.
- Meals: B/B
Day 2: Machame Gate, Hike to Machame Camp
Drive from Moshi to Machame Gate takes about 45 minutes. The journey passes through the village of Machame which is located on the lower slopes of the mountain.
We depart the park gate and walk through the rain forest on a winding trail up a ridge. At lower elevations the trail can be muddy and slippery. Gaiters and trekking poles are a good idea here. We continue a short distance until we reach the Machame Camp.
- Elevation: 1830m/6000ft to 3050m/9950ft
- Distance: 11km/7mi
- Hiking Time: 5-6 hours
- Habitat: Montane Forest
- Meals: LD
Day 3: Machame Camp to Shira Camp
After breakfast we leave the glades of the rain forest and continue on an ascending path, crossing the valley along a steep rocky ridge. The route now turns west onto a river gorge until we arrive at the Shira campsite.
- Elevation: 3050m/9950ft to 3850m/12,600ft
- Distance: 5km/3mi
- Walking Time: 4-5 hours
- Habitat: Moorland
- Meals: BLD
Day 4: Shira Camp to Lava Tower to Barranco Camp
From the Shira Plateau we continue to the east up a ridge, passing the junction towards the peak of Kibo. As we continue, our direction changes to the South East towards the Lava Tower, called the “Shark’s Tooth” (elev 4650m/15,250ft). Shortly after the tower we come to the second junction which goes to the Arrow Glacier. We now continue down to the Barranco Camp. Although you end the day around the same elevation as when you began, this day is very important for acclimatization and will help your body prepare for summit day.
- Elevation: 3850m/12,600ft to 4000m/13,000ft
- Distance: 10km/6mi
- Walking Time: 5-6 hours
- Habitat: Semi-desert
- Meals: BLD
Day 5: Barranco Camp to Barafu Camp
After breakfast, we leave Barranco and continue on a steep ridge up the Barranco Wall (elev 4250m/13,900ft), through the Karanga Valley (elev 4050m/13,250ft) to the junction which connects with the Mweka Trail. We continue up to the Barafu Camp. You have completed the South Circuit, which offers views of the summit from many different angles. Here we make camp with views of the summit in the distance.
- Elevation: 4000m/13,000ft to 4700m/15,350ft
- Distance: 9km/6mi
- Hiking Time: 6-8 hours
- Habitat: Alpine Desert
- Meals: BLD
Day 6 : Barafu Camp to Summit, down to Mweka Camp
Very early in the morning (midnight to 2 am), we continue our way to the summit between the Rebmann and Ratzel glaciers. You head in a northwesterly direction and ascend through heavy scree towards Stella Point on the crater rim. This is the most mentally and physically challenging portion of the trek. At Stella Point you will stop for a short rest and will be rewarded with the most magnificent sunrise you are ever likely to see. Faster hikers may view the sunrise from the summit.
From Stella Point, you may encounter snow all the way on your 1-hour ascent to the summit. Once at Uhuru Peak you have reached the highest point on Mount Kilimanjaro and the continent of Africa!
From the summit we begin our descent by continuing straight down to the Mweka Camp, stopping at Barafu for lunch. You may want gaiters and trekking poles for the loose gravel going down. We arrive at Mweka Camp and enjoy our last evening on the mountain.
- Elevation: 4700m/15,350ft to 5895m/19,340ft
- Down to 3090m/10,150ft
- Distance: 5km/3mi up / 13km/8mi down
- Hiking Time: 5-7 hours up / 5-6 hours down
- Habitat: Stone scree and ice-capped summit
- Meals: BLD
Day 7: Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate, drive to Moshi
After breakfast we continue the descent down to the Mweka Park Gate to receive your summit certificates. At lower elevations, it can be wet and muddy. Gaiters and trekking poles will help. Shorts and t-shirts will probably be plenty to wear (keep rain gear and warmer clothing handy).
Karibu Adventure vehicle will be waiting for you at Mweka gate to drive you back to your hotel in Moshi (about 30 minutes)
- Elevation: 3090m/10,150ft to 1680m/5500ft
- Distance: 10km/6m
- Hiking Time: 3-4 hours
- Habitat: Forest. 6 Days Machame Route Climb
- Meals: B/B
Day 8: Fly back home or proceeding with wildlife safari or Zanzibar
6 Days Machame Route + 2 nights hotel
|SOLO (one)People||GROUP SIZE
|$1650||$1555||$ 1510||$1450||$1410||US$ 1399|
The price for the mountain includes:
- Park fees, camping fees & rescue fees
- Twice a day medical health check up, monitoring with pulse-oximeter and stethoscope with basic first aid kit
- Oxygen Cylinder
- Orientation meeting in Moshi and gear check as well.
- 18% VAT on tour fees & services
- Camping equipment (tents, sleeping mat, camp chairs, camp tables, mess tent & cutlery for meals) and 3 Season mountain tents
- Transportation to & from the mountain gate
- Medically qualified mountain guides, cooks and porters
- 3 Meals while on the mountain + evening tea with popcorn or peanuts.
- Hot water for washing up daily and treated water for drink while climbing.
- Pre & Post Trek accommodation in Moshi (Click HERE) Bed & Breakfast Basis with storage facilities for excess luggage during hikes.
- Fair wages for the mountain crew as approved by the Kilimanjaro National Park Authority (KINAPA), Kilimanjaro Association of Tour Operators (KIATO)
- Local meals at selected restaurants in Moshi Town
- 3-4 porters per climber, which includes porters to carry up to 30 lbs of your personal gear.
- Kilimanjaro certificate for your successful summit attempt.
- Tips to mountain crew (Click HERE to see tipping policy)
- Items of a personal nature
- Laundry Services
- Entry visa for Tanzania
- Portable flush toilet with a toilet tent is extra (US$150 per toilet + toilet tent)