Mt Kilimanjaro Best Time to Climb
It is possible to climb the Kilimanjaro any time of the year.
Kilimanjaro lies close to the equator and may not have major seasonal variations in temperature. However, it is always cold at the top. The busiest time of the year is Christmas, New Year and school holidays – January/February and July/August. This is also due to the fact that weather conditions are generally considered most favourable during these months, with warmer day time temperatures in January/February and more likelihood of clear skies in the mornings and evenings both in Jan/Feb and July/August.
January to February
- January is a great time to climb Kilimanjaro. The weather is relatively warm and visibility is good. However, it is a busy time on the mountain
March to May
- March to May is the long rainy season. There are very few people on the mountain but the trail conditions can be very muddy, wet and snowy.
- June is a transitional period that is characterized by low visibility and cold temperatures. It is considered the start of the climbing season.
July to October
- July to October is the busiest period on the mountain. It is dry but the temperatures are relatively cold. Visibility is great.
- November is the short rainy season. Precipitation is moderate compared to the long rainy season. Few visitors climb Kilimanjaro during the month.
- December is a crowded time due to the holiday season.